Iowa State University Extension and Outreach has published the Field Crop Scouting book as an online learning tool for students and ag professionals in Iowa. This interactive textbook allows individuals to acquire knowledge about crop scouting topics such as corn and soybean growth stages, insect identification, crop diseases and weed identification through a self-paced, innovative design.
The online learning tool was developed for two audiences—students and professional within the ag industry. Below is a list of features the web-based book has to offer. For more information or to purchase the textbook online for $29.99, visit: bleepblorp.pub/store/1
6 features of the new interactive textbook:
- The book provides high-resolution images, videos, slideshows, interactive graphs, animated figures, activities and quizzes.
- The book contains guided practice to give learners experience and confidence. Immediately after the guided tutorials, assessment of student comprehension is conducted to test understanding of concepts.
- For crop scouts, agronomists, commodity groups and others in the ag industry, the certificate of achievement will provide verification to their employers that they’ve been trained in the basic concepts of crop scouting.
- Readers will be able to move from one topic to another and explore issues based on their interests.
- The learning tool can be accessed through any online browser or mobile device.
- Content includes: what a healthy crop looks like, how to evaluate crop health and growth stages, identification of diseases, insects and weeds, integrated pest management practices and risks associated with issues.
Information compiled and written by Jody Korthaus
Image by Brandon Kleinke