This is part 2 of a three-part series of reminders for private pesticide applicators. Part 1 discussed remaining continuing education course opportunities. Part 2 will discuss how to renew your certification if it has expired.
- If you are a private pesticide applicator and your certification expired on December 31, 2021, don’t forget you need to renew your certification.
- You do need to be in good standing to be able to renew, i.e. have met your annual training requirements.
Options to renew
1. Mail in a COPY (keep a copy for your records as proof of attendance) of the half-sheet verification form (Fig. 1) you received from your training course, and a check for $15 to:
502 E. 9th St.
Des Moines, IA 50319-0051
- Completely fill out and sign the verification form. Failure to complete forms may result in delays or forms being returned.
- Submitting by mail will take longer processing time to receive your card, so be prepared for a delay.
2. Use the on-line portal at https://iowaagriculture.force.com/pesticideapplicator/s/login/ to create an account, fill out an application, and pay fees. You will have the option to have your certificate sent to you electronically. If you have questions about this process it is best to contact the Pesticide Bureau via email at: email@example.com or 515-281-8591.
Up-to-date certification status is available here - https://iowapestapplicators.secure.force.com/lookup
Fig. 1 A sample half-sheet verification form.
What to do if you missed a training
If your certification expired in December 2021 and you missed a year or two of continuing education, you will have to take the private pesticide applicator exam again. This can be done at a testing center, or online through the IDALS web page.
If you choose to take your certification exam at a testing center, be advised you must make an appointment to do so. Some locations offer a paper exam, some offer a computer-based exam. If you choose a location offering a computer-based test, you must first create a Quia account so you have a login and password to access the exam.
If you choose to take your private pesticide applicator exam online, please download and read these instructions first. This is a multi-step process. It is highly advised to use a desktop computer to take the test online, do not use a smart phone or tablet.
What to do if you forgot to send in your renewal
If your certification expired prior to 2021, you may still renew your certification without taking the test, as long as you can prove you completed all the training requirements. This would include training for each year since your certification expired, plus the 3 years of your last certification cycle. Submit your training forms and fees to IDALS-Pesticide Bureau.
What to do if your certificate has not expired
Finally, if your certification doesn’t expire until December 2022 or December 2023, please keep a copy of your half-sheet verification form as proof of attendance and remember to attend your continuing instruction courses.
Questions regarding your certification status must be directed to the IDALS Pesticide Bureau. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-281-8591.
We graciously acknowledge the ISU Pesticide Safety Education Program and the IDALS Pesticide Bureau for reviewing this blog post.